Monday, July 23, 2007

What is your money attitude?

What is your wealth status? I am rich. I was born rich and continue to be to this day. Abundantly wealthy. Lacking nothing. Those of you who know me are probably saying- "What are you talking about Abbi? You aren't rich." According to statistics I have actually lived below the poverty level most of my life, I don't think I am there now but we are still not at the place where most people would call us rich (except those from 3rd world countries). However what the statistics say is not the whole picture there is something else that plays a huge part and that is our attitude.

There are many different ways that people look at their financial status. Some people truly are wealthy, they know they are wealthy and they spend like they are wealthy. Some of them are content and some are not. It depends on their attitude. God has given us this verse that applies to them, "Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies all things for us to enjoy."1 Timothy 6;17 I have known others that though they are not wealthy, they have all that they need plus much more, they have money in the bank and are not in debt yet their attitude is "We are so poor, I wish we wouldn't have to worry about money so much." This sort of attitude does not glorify God who richly supplies us with things to enjoy. We need to be thankful. "In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thess. 5:18 There are others who though do not have much money still want more and more and more and so they go into major debt. 1 Timothy 6:8 says "And if we have food and covering, with these we shall be content." and also concerning debt read Proverbs 22:7 "The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower becomes the servants slave." There are others whose whole focus in life is to run after money. "Do not weary yourself to gain wealth, cease from your consideration of it. Proverbs 23:4.

I have been exceedingly blessed in my life. I was raised by parents who were (and continue to be) very, very thankful for all that God has given them. Though poor by the world's standards they felt rich. Two of my Dad's favorite songs were "We are so Blessed" and "Consider the lilies" both of which talked about how much God has given us and will take care of us. They are careful with the money God has given to them and are generous with others. Then I was incredibly blessed to find a man whom I married who also (thanks to good training from his parents) is very careful with his money and doesn't like to be a slave to debt. Though we aren't rich in money- we are rich because we have learned the secret of contentment. Though we need to live frugally we can enjoy it. I consider it a hobby- one that I would want to pursue even if we would become millionaires. I enjoy gardening and raising my own food, using things that I have instead of going and buying new, remodeling 2nd hand clothing to make them work for us, making homemade gifts, buying things when they are on sale, doing things ourselves instead of hiring somebody to do it for us. It is fun and I am RICH!
What is your attitude concerning money?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin