Thursday, August 9, 2007

Breakfasts at our house



Breakfast is an important meal at our house. It is something that we don't skip and one that helps us to get the energy we need to have a productive morning. Growing up we would always eat breakfasts together as a family (It was a time when we would often eat leftovers such as spaghetti or cold pizza). Though in my family now we don't eat supper leftovers, it still is a family meal. At this point in our life my husband doesn't open his office until 9 am (though he likes to get there earlier) and he has a short commute, even when he had to be there at 8 and drove for 20 minutes we would still eat as a family.
For breakfast Ken prefers to have some protein (meat, eggs, cheese or peanut butter) and I have always tried to have healthy and economical things to eat so that pretty much ruled out cold cereal and other pre-made breakfast items. So I make breakfasts from scratch, but as I don't like to get up at dawn and also want to do my devotions time first the things that I make need to be pretty time efficient.
Here is a list of some of the things we have for breakfast:
  • Fried or scrambled eggs and toast with peanut butter and jam. (The toast is usually from homemade bread or sometimes from bread we buy at the day old bread store.)
  • French toast (made with homemade bread)
  • Eggs and Biscuits with jam.
  • Homemade yogurt and homemade granola
  • Biscuits and gravy (usually made from hamburger leftover from tacos or something like that.)
  • Breakfast burritos ( I will often use up leftover baked potatoes, cut up, in the eggs)
  • Pancakes (my easy recipe is below) with peanut butter and syrup
  • Eggs and Homemade hash browns or fried potatoes. (The Pampered Chef chopper works great to cut up potatoes for hash browns.)
  • Muffins, cinnamon rolls and cinnamon raisin bread we will also make the day before and then warm up and eat with eggs.
  • Waffles and Danish Puff are other things we like but they take a while so we mostly have them on Saturdays or holidays.
  • Yogurt and fruit smoothies and fresh fruit or applesauce are other things that we will add to our breakfasts.

Here is the recipe for pancakes which I made this morning.

  • 1 cup flour ( I grind my wheat and use all whole wheat flour, white flour tastes fine though as well but is not as good for you or as filling.)
  • 1 teaspoon soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cup milk (I usually use dry milk-1/3 c. dry milk and 1 c. water)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon oil

Mix the dry ingredients first and then add the wet ingredients and stir just until mixed. Fry as normal (I use a cast iron skillet and I put a little oil in at first put then I don't add any more. Fry on medium/low.
This is an easy recipe to memorize as it just takes pretty much one of everything. You can double or triple it easily too. I usually make a triple batch which is almost double what our family needs and so we have leftovers on another day.

I am always on the lookout for more neat breakfast ideas so if you have one that is not listed but is pretty easy, economical and good for you, please comment and tell me about it.

4 comments:

Kim said...

What do you use to grind your four? I've heard that the nutritional content is much higher with freshly ground four.

Abbi said...

I have a "Whisper Mill" electric grain grinder. They can be a bit pricey but they do work well. I was blessed to be given one as a wedding gift. You are right that the nutritional content is much higher with freshly ground. If you can't have it fresh it is best to at least keep whole wheat flour in the freezer.

cdorsey said...

I found your blog on the Frugal Blogroll and enjoyed it very much. What a blessing to be able to eat breakfast together as a family.

Catherine
Angel Food Cake Isn't A Candle

Betsy said...

Another fun and yummy thing for breakfast is fruit pizza. You can use biscuit dough, bread dough, or pizza dough for the crust, yogurt for the "sauce," and fresh cut fruit for the topping (strawberries, blueberries, bananas, oranges, etc.). Also, Winn likes to have a bowl of raw steel-cut oats with dried fruit and milk on it for breakfast.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin