Sunday, September 2, 2007

Following Jesus

"If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life shall lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake shall find it. For what shall a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" A question from Jesus in Mathew 16:24-26
This morning at church Mike used this scripture in his sermon. This a great verse and one that it is good to reminded of over and over again. What is more important in life than the eternal salvation of our soul? The answer is "nothing".
Many people can say they are following Jesus but unless they are denying themselves and taking up their cross first, they have things backwards and aren't truly following Christ. Denying myself doesn't sound very fun. It means denying myself of my ideas, my will, my wants. Getting rid of everything that is all about SELF. That sounds quite harsh until you think about the reason we are denying self- it is so that God can make the decisions in our life, so we can do what He desires. So the Being that is in control of the universe, knows everything, earnestly wants what is best for us, and always makes the right decision can be in control of our life instead of me, somebody who knows very little and is not aware of the future. When we put denying self in that light it starts looking far more attractive.
We need to let go of what we think, and let God lead. He has given us His word which gives us the directions we need for our lives, it always works. He is also always there to listen to us when we pray and guide us in our walk with Him.
I am continually striving to live ever better for Jesus Christ, I hope that somehow I can encourage you in your walk as well. May we grow together!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin