Thursday, March 13, 2008

A baking day

Yesterday we had a fun time doing a lot of baking. My sister Keren and friends Pei-Lin and Tracy were over and they helped me. We made 9 dozen butterhorn rolls, a batch of peanut butter choc. chip cookies, Lemon Bars, Bread and a double batch of Norwegian Macaroon cookies. Most of what we made is for our Winter Retreat which is this weekend. The kitchen was quite crowded but I think working together with others is a lot of fun!
Here Pei-Lin is rolling up the butter horns.
Here are a couple of the Norwegian Macaroon cookies. This was the first time I had made them and they are pretty good. I will share the recipe with you.

Norwegian Macaroon Cookies
1 cup sugar (I used about 3/4 cup)
1 cup softened butter
1 1/4 cup flour (I used part whole wheat)
1 1/2 teaspoon soda
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 egg
1 3/4 cup oatmeal

Mix all ingredients. The original recipe says to refrigerate for about an hour and then roll dough into little balls and flatten with a glass. I did not refrigerate, I just spooned the dough onto the cookie sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Frost with chocolate almond bark which has been melted after cookies are cool. Makes around 6 dozen.

What is your favorite way to bake. Do you like to be alone, with just one friend or make it a party? :-)


2 comments:

All in a Day said...

I've always liked baking alone, but I have two little girls (plus a butter/dough/batter-stealing Laura) that like to help so I've had to change my ways. It's taking time to learn to let them dump stuff in though.

Anonymous said...

I am a bake alone person too. Except for my kids are fun to share the time with. Other people make me nervous. Anna

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin