Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Blues

Lately I have been struggling some with discouragement and "the blues". I think it is a little bit of cabin fever and probably not enough vitamin D and just life but I wanted to share with you the weekend I had and some good blues busters.

  • Last night Ken and I went out on a date. That isn't something we do very often and it was really quite a lot of fun. (mostly I like just doing things as a family but dates are good sometimes too.) We went out to eat, went to Home Depot and dreamed about new flooring for our upstairs and went to a BSU hockey game which they won which caused them to win the championship. Yea! Meanwhile the kids were having fun at home with Lori a very capable child tender. A date is a fun way to get rid of the blues.
  • Today was church which is always wonderful for encouragement and helping me to get life in focus. Delbert had a good sermon today about getting rid of the weights in our life which was edifying.
  • After church Mathew and Emily on the spur of the moment invited a bunch of us to come over for lunch and games. That was great fun! Thanks Mathew and Emily!
  • At church tonight we had our prayer time. Time spent sharing with others and then giving all your cares to God is one of the best ways to get rid of discouragement.
  • After church Emily, Mathew and I were able to have a good conversation concerning some of the things I had been discouraged about and then figure out some things we could do about it. Friends and a plan of action help a lot!!
  • And then I remembered this cool verse that Keren had posted quite a while ago accompanied by the funniest picture and thinking of it at any time helps to get rid of the blues! I will share the verse below but make sure to check out Keren's picture.

"Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?
Why are you crying the blues?
Fix my eyes on God-
soon I'll be praising again.
He puts a smile on my face.
He's my God.
Psalm 43:5 (the message)

6 comments:

Angie said...

Thanks for the encouragement ABBI! I needed it. You are always an encouragement to me!

Anonymous said...

I have got to admit I have been feeling the same way and Sharing with my life group and Travis has really helped. Having others praying for me. Last week went so much better than they had been going. I think it is the time of year and winter and schol work weighing heavy in us. Anna

Emily said...

I hope it's the time of year...because then we will all be feeling better with the sun and warm temps!
It cheered me up quite a bit to have a chat with you last night, thanks for the "brainstorming"! Now, I am looking forward to spending a little more prayer time on those things! :) And hopefully, making sure I keep a joyful attitude this week!

Melissa said...

I have been feeling the same way lately. We have so much snow that we can't see out our windows. When you look out our door all you see is 9ft snow banks and tops of trees. We are close to breaking the record snow fall. It is beautful though. Bruce was just saying if we get any more snow we will have to have house church because we won't be able to get into the building. I will be praying for you and that God to lift you up.

Angie said...

ok just wanted to share a book with anyone that deals with depression a lot especially post pardum. http://whyijumped.com/ it's about a women who jumped off a bridge only to have a cop catch her in the nick of time. I cried through most of it and it really helped me in one of my lowest times of my life.

Abbi said...

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to leave your comments. Hearing from others is always a great encouragment to me. I also appreciate your prayers.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin