Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Fixing Hair

While Michelle was here visiting I was inspired by watching her carefully fix her girls hair every day. They had a time in the morning and then usually again after naps where they would sit down and take the time to very carefully get their hair done. I do fix my girls hair but usually it is a pretty quick brush through and then for Megan a quick barrette and for Mara usually I just pull half the hair up in a pony or something like that. I don't think there is anything wrong with that but I also thought that it would be fun to spend a little extra time with me girls while fixing their hair and also hopefully make them enjoy (though hopefully not get vain or self-absorbed) ladylike things.

Last week when we were at the Library I happened to notice a book on fixing hair and so I picked it up. Mara has been enjoying going through it and picking out a new hairstyle for each day. We thought we would share some of them with you over the next few weeks. I have done many of these styles before as I used to fix my sisters hair a lot (I am not sure why I haven't done that with my girls), but I am kind of rusty with my skills.

Our first hairstyle is the Fish tail. I have always liked this one and it is really quite simple to do.
You can do it many ways (including making a french style fish tail) but this day we first put it up in a pony tail. Then I divided the hair in half with my fingers.


Then you take a small section of hair from the outside of one section and cross it over to join the inside of the other section. Then go to the other side and do the same thing. Keep doing that until you have gone the whole length and then fasten it with a pony tail holder. That is all there is to it. It is really quite simple. If you have any questions you can put them in the comments and I will try to answer them.
This is the finished product. You are not required to wear a raccoon in your hair for this style.

6 comments:

Becky R said...

that looks so pretty. love the racoon. lol! -Becky in NJ

shell said...

I have always been picky about Rowans hair and then she got a train stuck in th front. Yes I said train and it broke off quite a big chunk right in the middle of the front. So we have only been able to do barrettes since way before Christmas. Now it is getting longer and we can do more things again and she said she wishes that another train would get caught in her hair. I don't know why I shared this your blog just made me think of it. Mara's hair look really cute like that. I always enjoy figuring out new hair styles =).

Anonymous said...

Are you sure the raccoon isn't required? It looks quite nice.

Emily said...

How funny....and I was going to do a works for me post on braiding hair! Must be the season! ha ha

Angie said...

That is so cute. I have seen that done and loved it but never ever tried it. I might just have to do that.

Abbi said...

Thanks to all of you for commenting.
Shelly, It was fun to hear your story about Rowen. It did leave me with a few questions, trying to imagine a toy train stuck in the front of her hair. With kids though you never know what will happen. Thanks for sharing, it makes blogging so much more fun for me when I can hear about others lives as well. I would love to see you all!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin