Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Works for me Wednesday ~ Violin practice

At one time in my life (when I was a teenager and I suppose working through hormone changes) it was easy for my to put in a lot of time practicing my instruments. I would spend hours a day playing on them. However now that I am a mother with young children and I stay fairly busy I often find it hard to find the time to practice my instruments.

Piano playing has been easier than violin to keep up because it is always ready at a moments notice, all I have to do is sit down and I am ready to go where with the violin I had to take it out of its case which required undoing some snaps, unzipping a zipper and then putting on a shoulder rest, tightening the bow and putting some rosin on. I would usually only get it out when I had at least 1/2 hour to practice or when a music student was coming.

I have found a solution that works for me. I have cleared a spot on top of the piano where I can just leave my violin out. So now all I have to do is tighten the bow and I am ready to play. I have been playing the violin a whole lot more now that I have it out and close at hand. I don't think I am lazy but I know that making this easier for me has made me more inclined to practice.

To see more works for me Wednesday tips visit Rocks in my Dryer.
How do you encourage yourself to practice an instrument?

2 comments:

All in a Day said...

I hear you! (Even when it's out in the open, I have a hard time taking the time to practice.)

Hmm...sitting at the computer later...I'm not sure if this posted so please excuse me if it's a double.

The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino said...

Great idea! Seeing the candle in the pic reminded me of another tip that works for older, more mature kids (only if there are no younger ones around): Someone I know let their older child light a candle for the entire time she practiced, then she blew it out when they were done. When the candle was burned as far as it could go, she got some kind of reward. This tip was also published in Family Fun.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin