Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Works for me Wednesday ~ Frozen dessert

Do you need something refreshing and cool for the summer time heat? We tried a new recipe at our house that we think is quite yummy.

It is made with a bunch of berries (the recipe calls for blueberries but we used juneberries and I think raspberries or strawberries would be yummy too), yogurt and a lemon lime pop. It is super easy to make and very good to eat! I got the recipe online at a sight with recipes from Maine. It is called blueberry frozen yogurt but my husband suggests it should be named something else like "frozen fruit dessert" as it doesn't have the creamy texture you expect with frozen yogurt.

It works for me because it is:
  • Simple, easy and fast!
  • Inexpensive (at least for us as we pick our own berries and I used plain homemade yogurt instead of vanilla yogurt-I did also add 1 teaspoon of vanilla)
  • And fairly nutritious.

What cool foods do you enjoy in the summer?

9 comments:

Tammy said...

Mmmmmmm, that looks quite yummy. Thanks for the tip, I just might have to try that out. My kids would love it!

Anonymous said...

We have been doing a ton of fruit smoothies for the last few weeks. It is a great way to use up older fruits you might not want to snack on by themselves (particularly bananas) and I have quite a bit of frozen fruit left from last summer in the freezer. I put ice and yogurt or ice cream or just a variety of fruit and maple suryp. What didn't work for us today was the Lambs Quarter, Watermelon, Banana, mint smoothie. Only Holten and Kristina liked it:) I think the mint was the real problem, very refreshing and sweet all on its own,no added sweetners, but there was just something about it we didn't like. Anna

Abbi said...

I am not sure about the sound of that smoothie either. Have you tried lambs quarter in other ones that you have liked?

Anonymous said...

QUITE and imagination Anna! Thats even better than me. My new trick is to use my whey to boil rice or potatoes and tonight I used it for my liquid in chicken noodle soup! And LUke ate two big bowls full! I added a teaspoon of sugar just in case a little vinegar flavor came through. Anyway I do believe that Holten and Kristina are the kind of kids to have around! mom

Tara said...

Sounds and looks yummy!! Thanks for the ideas. I love desserts with FRUIT!!! :)

Betsy said...

Not quite sure about the lambs quarter, Anna. :) But I do enjoy fruit smoothies in the summer. A very quick and simple one that I make is just blending lemonade and frozen strawberries together.

Brittnee said...

That looks very very very yummy. something I like to eat in the summer is ice cream. I'm addicted to it and am not very proud of it. Actually I love it all year round. It's just nicer in the summer when it's hot:)

Anonymous said...

Spinach is the new thing in smoothies. So I figured Goosefoot Lambs Quarter would be just fine. I have never tried spinach so I don't know how that tastes to comapare. It will probably be awhile before I try any more greens in our smoothies just to be sure no one gets to turned off on my food. By the way Holten thinks we have different tastes buds. Anna

Anonymous said...

Spinach is the new thing in smoothies. So I figured Goosefoot Lambs Quarter would be just fine. I have never tried spinach so I don't know how that tastes to comapare. It will probably be awhile before I try any more greens in our smoothies just to be sure no one gets to turned off on my food. By the way Holten thinks we have different tastes buds. Anna

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin