Monday, April 27, 2009

Do Hard Things!

I recently read the book "Do Hard Things" by Alex and Brett Harris and I really enjoyed it! When they wrote this (2008) they were teenagers that were starting "a teenage rebellion against low expectations". They call it the Rebelution. There book is so refreshing because in an era of teenagers being thought of as hard to deal with, lazy, you can't expect much from them, wild, un-disciplined....the list can go on and on, they show clearly that it doesn't have to be that way. There are teenagers out there (and I personally am pleased to know quite a few!) that aren't that way AND no teenager needs to be that way.

Our day in age however has given teenagers for the most part very low expectations and so they live up to them. This needs to change and it can change little by little in each home as either (and hopefully both) parents and kids decide that the teenage years can be great years for accomplishing things, learning and truly launching out on a lifetime of living for God.

Reading the book made me really excited about my kids reaching their teen years (though I am happy to have them at the age they are currently!!). I don't think we need to be scared but as we train them now we can also work to inspire them to want to be all that they can be and never give in to mediocrity!

The book also made me think of my own teen years. I was super blessed to be raised by wonderful christian parents in a christian home. In view of the book I can look at my own teenage years without regret. I grew up without a TV or computer to distract me (though I know teenagers can be raised well with both of those around as well), I was taught to love learning and working and during my teen years I was able to be a worker in the church, a worker in the home, work outside the home, go on a mission trip and help out at christian camps and I also was able to really pursue some of my interests like music. I have no regrets at all but I realize now that I could have even done more. But it is never to late to do stuff and I want to do as much as I can for God now too.

I do recommend this book, as with pretty much every book I read I didn't agree with everything 100% but that is why we all need to be comparing whatever we read, anywhere with what God says in his word!

Have you read this book? What did you think?

1 comment:

Betsy said...

That looks like a good book - I might have to see if our library has it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin