Wednesday, April 8, 2009

WFMW ~ adding more veggies to our meals

It is my goal to continually be improving our health with good nutrition from whole foods. This year I have really tried to work on adding more fruits and veggies to our diet. Not long ago I had fun making a pizza where I added a bunch of extra veggies.

Most of my family is not real fond of the "Supreme" style pizza with lots of vegetables but I managed to get a lot of veggies in anyway.

When making the dough I used pureed squash for a lot of the liquid. This actually made a very soft yummy bread crust! (This is my favorite recipe) Then of course we had tomato sauce, I decided to add some swiss chard (which I had frozen last year) on as a topping and then I mixed some homemade refried beans and onions in with the sausage that I was frying for a topping which also added nutrition. It ended up being pretty good and it had a lot of nutrition in it and that Works for Me!
So how do you add more vegetables to your meals?

4 comments:

Niki Jolene said...

Very sneaky, but I like it! Never thought of adding things to the dough!

:)

Coco said...

Adding pureed veggies is such a genius idea! Do you add it instead of water? I could use this trick when I make bread too, yeah? Thank you for sharing such a great idea!!

Abbi said...

I did add it in the place of water but I didn't seem like there was quite enough liquid so I added some water too. For the Pizza recipe which usually calls for 2 cups water I put 2 cups squash and 1 cup water.
This defenitely does work for bread too. We have used squash and pumpkin a lot replacing some of the water with it. It usually makes a softer and very yummy bread. My mom has also done a lot of pureed swiss chard, greens beans, you name it in her bread. THe squash will make your bread a little orange but it isn't unattractive. The green stuff I will admit isn't quite so good looking. :-)

Bridgett said...

haha, this totally works for me too. My husband and son are not veggie lovers so I often have to sneak them into the food. My husband raised an eyebrow at the mashed potatoes the other day. He ended up liking them though and they were crammed with pureed broccoli and cauliflower, yum! I really enjoy reading your blog, thanks for doing it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin