Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Handmade Christmas~ Week 2

My girls enjoy wearing pretty things in their hair. I have seen a bunch of neat ideas on blogs for making hair things (Check out those links at the bottom of this post) and I also got a neat book (Heirloom Ribbon Work by Helen Gibb) from the library on ribbon flowers. That book was the inspiration for today's project.
Ribbon Rose Pony tail (or Megan will want them for pig tails I am sure) holders.
Here are the basic instructions for making a ribbon rose:

1. Fold the ribbon over as picture above. (Folding the ribbon forward)
2. Fold the folded down portion in half.
3. Then roll in a cylinder. (Several rolls) Secure at the bottom with thread.
4. Now fold the ribbon back as shown.
5. This next part is a little bit tricky, pull the cylinder part in front of the folded part keeping everything the same level. Now roll until you reach the end of the fold. Secure with thread at the bottom.
6. Keep repeating steps 4 and 5.
7. Shape the ribbon rose as you go, stitching it in place.
8. Add leaves. (sorry for the blurry picture) Fold the ribbon as pictured and stitch the ends to the bottom part of the rose.
9. You can add as many leaves as desired. You can cut off unnecessary length below where you stitched. Try to pull the ribbon over loose ends and stitch in place.
10. Now connect it to you pony tail holder or to a barrette, a brooch, a choker, sewn items, etc. You can use ribbon roses in lots of places. I have quite a few other plans for making and using these and some other ribbon flowers. Hopefully I will be able to share them with you before too long. :-)
Here are the links to other fun ideas that I mentioned above:
  • This pinwheel bobby pin (or actually I think I will use an alligator clip) is next on my list to make. It is so sweet and looks very easy to make.
  • I think these butterflies would be cute on a barrette (or the flowers would too).
  • I love the idea of using up little scraps especially when they are turned into a sweet little tiara for a little girl to have fun using for dress up.
  • Or if you want something for the boy's head- check out this manly little cap!
  • A cute floral hair bow using fabric scraps. I think this looks very cute as an embellishment for clothes too.
  • Easy hair things we made for Christmas last year.

Now it is your turn! Please share what handmade fun you have been having!

To link up~

  • Write a post about anything you are doing that is handmade for Christmas. (Gifts, decorations, food, etc.).
  • In that post please link back to here.
  • Then using MckLinky, add your link to the list. Please make sure it is linking to your specific post (not just your blog).
  • Then have fun following the links to see other's great ideas!

Thanks for joining me!

The winner to last weeks gift tag giveaway is Sherri who blogs at "Design to Shine". She linked up her very neat idea for jar candle holders. I encourage you to visit her blog, she has lots of neat posts!


8 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow! Your blog has some neat projects! These flowers remind me of the ones my mom used to make when was I was little. Hope I get a chance to make them someday! I wouldn't mind wearing them now either!

Thanks for visiting my blog too!

Sherri said...

Awww you are too sweet! I love the roses on the pony tail holders! What an ADORABLE 'dress up' to them. I could see TONS of uses for the little flowers!

Carrie said...

I love the pinwheel bobby pin! So cute! Cute little roses.

Jackie said...

Great idea! My daughter saw this and thought they were very pretty.

alexis said...

Abbi: Thanks for hosting this...it's lots of fun, and I am getting lots of ideas from the other posts!
I really enjoy your blog and was wondering if you would be interested in guest posting on my blog Happy 2 B A Homekeeper while I am on my "maternity leave" in a couple of weeks. Topic would be up to you. Just let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Superb site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any
user discussion forums that cover the same
topics discussed in this article? I'd really love to be
a part of community where I can get feed-back from other
experienced individuals that share the same interest.
If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

What's up, after reading this remarkable article i am as well glad to share my experience here with colleagues.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account
it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!
However, how can we communicate?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin