Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Some skirt remodeling

    At the beginning of this summer I was really in the mood for wearing skirts. I had one that I particularly liked that fit very comfortably and came just a little below the knees. I own a bunch of other skirts too, but most all of them were long and didn't feel very summery. So I wanted some "new" ones.

    I wanted "new" skirts but I didn't really want to buy any so I started looking around at what I already had in my house. I came up with several things and I have fixed up a few skirts and have a few more that I am planning on making.  I thought I would tell you about a couple of them today.
This long skirt (above) was one of the ones I already had on hand. I thought the fabric was pretty but it wasn't the style I was wanting so I decided to change it. I cut it off to the length desired and then I decided to use the fabric from the bottom to make a couple of layers of ruffles.

 This was the end result (though I apologize for the dark picture!) and I am happy with it.

I added some ribbon above the ruffles and then decided to put on one of my flowers that I had made as well. Now both the style and the fabric seem Summery (or Spring like) to me.

This dress above my Mom sent over to my house thinking I might like it for something as she knew I liked Sailor/patriotic type stuff. I didn't want to wear it as is but I did like the colors and I decided to make a skirt out of it.

I ended up making skirts for both Megan and I. Megan's is pretty short ( I was using what I had left) so it worked well for her to wear over her red cotton knit capris. I still have some fabric left that I thought I would use for a doll skirt.

 We wore them on the 4th of July and when we walked in the parade, which is why I have candidates stickers all along the bottom of mine. :-)

  Skirts are so easy to make and it is easier yet to remodel something you already have. I love being able to make something "new" for my wardrobe in just an hour or so.

 I am linking these projects up to the link party at Tea Rose Home (a fun blog written by an excellent seamstress).


2 comments:

Sachiko said...

Thank you for sharing your creations, you did such a nice job!

Sheila said...

Those all turned out so cute! A friend gave my daughter a fleece long skirt that I know she isn't likely to wear. I want so much to make it into a backpack, but I'm just still not quite sure how to start. I'm encouraged by what you did!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin