Sunday, June 5, 2011

Spring rain for my soul



A teeny tiny nest that the kids found in a little bush in our flower bed.
God certainly does amazing things!

"So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord. His going forth is as certain as the dawn; and He will come to us like the rain, Like the spring rain watering the earth." Hosea 6:3

 Do you ever get into what I tend to call a "slump"? I'm talking about when it seems like you're struggling to grow spiritually or maybe you're having trouble dealing with your kids, husband or friends or maybe you're just not feeling like cooking or cleaning or any of those little jobs that just need to be done. Or just maybe the struggle is in all of those areas.

 I have had trouble being in a slump lately. In most of the areas that I mentioned. I have struggled a lot with growing in the fruits of the Spirit and with having a good attitude. I think (at least with me) when I tend to struggle in spiritual areas then the struggle tends to spill over into other areas of my life as well such as in my relationships and my ability to work happily. I have discovered it also really spills over into my blogging. I don't really feel like I have much ability to encourage others when I was struggling myself. I just had trouble thinking of what to write about.

   I have been reading through the book of Hosea lately. It is any interesting book where God through Hosea gives Israel some big object lessons about their unfaithfulness and God's desire for them. In Hosea 5:15 it says "I will go away and return to My place until they acknowledge their guilt and seek My face; In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me." God needs us to come to the place where we too acknowledge just how much we really need Him!

 Then hopefully we will say as it says in Hosea 6:1-3 "Come, let us return to the Lord. For He has torn us, but He will heal us; He has wounded us, but He will bandage us. He will revive us after two days; He will raise us up on the third day, That we may live before Him. So let us know, let us press on the know the Lord. His going forth is as certain as the dawn; and He will come to us like the rain, like the spring rain watering the earth."

  Verse 3 was such a huge encouragement to me.
  • It says: "So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord." That need to seek that, work at knowing the Lord is emphasized, as if to say "Don't give up! Don't get discouraged! Just keep on working- You will make it!" 
  • Then is says: " His going forth is as certain as the dawn;" That just reminds me that of how faithful and ever present God is. Even if we struggle God is still there- all the time- whenever we need Him!
  • Next it says: "And He will come to us like the rain, Like the spring rain watering the earth." I was reminded today of how important Spring rains are when I went out and saw some dry little tomato plants in my garden. We can get dry and thirsty like that too. God will come and give us the water we need but we need to be receptive to it. Oh what a blessing is God's rain that often comes in the form of His word. We should immerse ourselves in it so we don't dry up!
I hope you have found these verses encouraging too! I hope you will join me in making sure that we spend the time we need to letting God's word work in our lives and talking to God about everything. Lets do some growing!!

1 comment:

Nicole ~ "I'm staying home with my mom!" said...

I, too, have been feeling the 'slump'. I am not sure I am where I want to be in life at this point. I'm not depressed or anything...in fact, I find myself wondering at God's gifts many times a day, but am also struggling with being patient, using time wisely, giving up some things that have a strong hold on me, and trusting that God has a plan and direction for my life. I have had some things (possibly) offered to me that I'm not sure I want. It's for the benefit of our family, but I need to find contentment and thanksgiving in the opportunities. Anyway, yes, I feel the slump...not completely, but it is trying to eat away at me. Thank you for the encouraging post and verses!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin