Monday, July 11, 2011

Herbs and Berries

 This sure is a fun time of year with plants growing like crazy and the rush to stay ahead of the weeding and the picking. Berry picking has started for sure here. Strawberries were first. The last two Saturdays we have made a batch of Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. The Strawberries we picked from our garden and we even got some wild ones (my first time using them for jam but it was fun!) from the clearings and ditches around our place. The rhubarb came from a friends house. Mara loves picking berries and is excited that berry picking season has begun. She is also old enough to be a huge help with the cleaning of them.

It is time to collect herbs and get them drying as well. Actually I should have started doing this weeks ago but I didn't so I am doing it now.  I was collecting herbs and trying to figure out where I would hang them (as I didn't feel like pulling out the dehydrator just now) and my sister suggested hanging them above my kitchen sink. I really like the way it looks- old fashioned and back to earth. Ken has enjoyed teasing me about my weeds hanging up.

What I am drying just now are:
 Have you dried any herbs (or otherwise preserved them) this year? I would love to hear what you are doing!

"Better is a dish of herbs where love is than a fattened ox served with hatred." Proverbs 15:17
I linking to Homestead Revival

5 comments:

Creations by Dina said...

My hubby also calls my herbs weeds. I have to dry them in the basement so he can't smell them. I hang jalapeno and small chili peppers above my kitchen sink to dry. I string them up through the stems and hang a bunch of them. I actually still have some hanging that I dried two years ago. They are so pretty though nice and bright red!!

Farmhouse Soaps said...

Your blog is so lovely. I really enjoyed reading about your life and homestead. Found it through the barn hop. I just finished homeschooling my last daughter. She graduated this year. Quite bittersweet! But God has great plans for her and He will use me in other ways! So nice to meet you!
Marianne
Spend the Thyme Farm

Jackie said...

Your herbs and berries look great. I have some basil I need to pick, but that is all I planted this year besides our chives that come up every year. Our blackberries are starting to be ripe, too.

JoannaTopazT said...

We picked 23 pounds of strawberries in June and I now have 28 cups of them in my freezer (I slice them up so they're ready for pies, muffins, etc.). We managed to eat 10 pounds of the fresh ones within a week. :)

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to preserve fennel: we're doing a CSA for the first time, and it's a new herb for us, but very tasty -- somewhat like black licorice.

Abbi said...

Dina,
That is funny that our husbands have the same ideas about herbs. :-) Your chili peppers sound pretty. I have done that once quite a few years ago but haven't had enough to do that with since.

Marianne,
Thanks so much for stopping by! I am glad to meet you too. It is a bit hard for me to imagine the time when my children will all leave home but I know it will come before I realize it. It is such a blessing to know that God has plans and opportunities for us in each phase of our lives.

Jackie, I just picked my first basil today. I am really looking forward to having enough to make pesto with!

Joanna,
All those strawberries sound wonderful! I did think about going to a U-oick farm but they are getting to be so expensive so I decided to try to get the most out of what we could find around here. I can imagine using up 10 lbs in a week- they are so yummy!
I haven't grown fennel since I was a kid so I don't have any tips for using it. I would like to try it again sometime. I think some cultures use it quite a bit.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin