Sunday, October 16, 2011

Life without fear

Recently some things that I have come across got me started thinking about the subject of fear.

  The first thing was an article that I read in a christian publication that spoke of how many people have reacted to the current instability of our world. Many people (with many Christians included!) have reacted with what seems to be fear and distress. Being prepared for whatever might happen in life is great but it seems that others have gone beyond that to being worried and fearful and regularly speaking of gloom and doom.

  The other thing that made me think about fear was glimpses I got of a movie that was playing near where I was. I wasn't watching it but every so often I would catch bits and pieces of it. The one thing that really jumped out at me when I would look at it was the spirit of fear that was portrayed in it. That feeling is a very yucky one (I was trying to think of a better word, but couldn't) to me. I started thinking about why there would be such a feeling portrayed in that movie and then I realized that the movie was showing life in country where most people do not know God or have Him in their lives. That made me think about how a life without God is often filled with fear. 

  I am so very thank-ful that we do not have to fear! I thought I would share some verses with you that I find extremely comforting and courage building and I hope you will find them that way too!

"When you lie down, you will not be afraid; When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes;
For the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught." Proverbs3:24-26

"We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world, There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. " 1 John 4:16-18

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?" Psalm 27:1

"Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a cent; And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from you Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows." Matt 10:28-31

  We have a God who is stronger and mightier than anything else, when we are right with Him and prepared for eternity than we do not have any need to fear. I have really enjoyed reading through the Voice of the Martyrs publication with the kids as well and we have found that courage building as well. It is full of stories of people who live out the verses above- they have every earthly reason to fear but they go forward with God's strength.

  May you have a blessed week!
   ~Abbi

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin