Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A rug for July (and yes I am a little behind!)

This is a crocheted rug made out of old plastic grocery bags. I try to mostly bring my own cloth grocery bags these days but we can still at times get a stock pile of plastic bags around here. I also used various other plastic that came our way this year such as the wrappings from a bunch of poinsettias at Christmas time.

 These rugs are rather fun to make since you are turning something that truly feels like trash into something that is useful. I plan on using this as a camping rug - to set just outside our tent to wipe our feet on so that hopefully the tent will stay clean. Being plastic it makes a good outdoor rug.

 To make it I simply cut strips from the bag, tie them together and then crochet it just like I would a rag rug. To see how I make a normal rag rug you can go here.

If you want to see more of the rugs I have made this year you can go here.

I have seen other ways to make plastic bag rugs which also look rather neat. If you don't know how to crochet perhaps you would like to make a woven one ( using a homemade cardboard loom) or an even more professional looking woven one or a cool looking square crocheted one.

I hope you have fun if you give it a try!

Now to see if I can get another rug made and posted about for August before it is over! :-) I did make a couple of rugs and even taught a rug making class but they were like other ones I have already posted about so I need to make a different one - I have a plan - I just may not have enough time as we have a bunch of canning and housecleaning also on the to do list!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin