Friday, October 26, 2012

I don't buy..... Magazine Subcriptions

Something I used to buy every so often was magazine subscriptions. I have long loved to read and I like seeing new ideas so magazines would often fill the bill. I am not opposed to magazines at all I just have decided that they are not something that I need to currently spend money on. Someday I might change my mind but that is what I am doing right now.

  I do still get a few different magazines coming to our house. One comes as a gift (and by they way I do think that is a nice gift to give) and some come free for various reasons.



Here are my alternatives to buying magazine subscriptions:
  • Read things on that topic online. This was the big reason that I decided it was unnecessary for me to spend money on magazines- I was already reading the things like what I would read in magazines online in blogs and such. For example- I like homesteading and crafting magazines but I can find so much information of that nature online that buying a magazine seems quite unneeded.
  • Sign up for free Magazines. I have enjoyed receiving "No Greater Joy" and "Above Rubies", both which come free. There are others like this as well if you look around.
  • Take advantage of free opportunities for magazines which normally do cost money. For example we are currently getting "Family Fun" because I saw a free offer for it one day when I was reading Money Saving Mom.
  • Gratefully accept 2nd hand magazines. I enjoy "World" now and then because my parents get it and then pass it on to us. A lot of magazines are still very interesting and informative even if you don't read them the week that they were published. Also in this topic- once you have read a magazine why not pass it on to someone else to enjoy?
  • Check them out from the Library. If there is a magazine that I would really like to look at I can either read it at the library or check it out (though it can't be checked out if it is the current copy). They have a very large selection- at least at our library.
 I am happy with my decision to not buy magazines because not only does it save us money but also we have less mess to deal with as well. I very much like the idea of "sharing subscriptions" because of all the paper that gets saved as well as money.

What are your thoughts on Magazine subscriptions?

I am linking this to Frugal Friday at Life as MOM.
 

3 comments:

Miri said...

Ooh, I agree. I do love magazines for the new ideas and the 'quick' reads... we receive a couple as gifts (and it's a lovely thing to receive, as it comes all year!) but I now only read most magazines at the library. I also find it cuts down on the clutter to have fewer magazines coming in the house.

Anonymous said...

I like to look up things on-line but I can't take the computer to bed with me. :) I do like to read before resting. mom

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be precisely what I'm looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn't mind composing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome blog!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin