Thursday, February 28, 2013

Grocery list tip

We have a method in our house that we have used to help us stay more organized every since we first got married. When Ken and I got married we were attending a small Bible college and one of the professors there was probably the most organized person I have ever met and his wife (my piano and voice teacher) was pretty organized as well. They shared a tip with us that we have used ever since.


The tip is to keep a running shopping list going (we have it on the front of our fridge) and also buy two (at least) of every item that you use regularly and when you use one up and are ready to start on the last one then write that item down on your shopping list. This works great for things like ketchup, Mayonnaise and the like.

   This method is very helpful  (and it does help that I have a husband that remembers to do this very faithfully!) and we rarely run out of things - unless I am trying to go for months on end without shopping or something like that! :-)

  Having a running grocery list on the fridge is very helpful for having things already well planned out should I make a last minute decision to do my grocery shopping that day.

  I hope this works for you as well as it has for us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Abbi! Your running grocery list is a helpful idea. I took it a step further a few years back. I made up a list (by category) of our frequently used products. I printed it out and put it in a sheet protector. It hangs on the refrigerator with a wet-erase marker close by. We circle things that are needed and write in any unusual items. I take the list with me to the store (it's organized by aisle for my most frequently used store), then wipe it clean with a wet tissue and hang it back on the refrigerator. I keep the list on my computer so I can print out a fresh copy. Every year or so, I tweek the list and reprint it, as our tastes and dietary needs change.
Thanks for sharing a piece of your life with all of us!
Blessings,
Deb

Stephany Z said...

Hey Abbi! We keep a running list on the fridge too, and we try to keep backups on hand of the main ingredients we use fairly quickly. My husband is great about adding to the list, too. Our husbands are a blessing!

Abbi said...

Deb, Your shopping list idea is very neat! I might have to try that someday.

Stephany, That is fun that your household seems to run very similar to mine at least in that area.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin