Sunday, February 10, 2013

No fear of competition

I found this account about Jesus in Mark chapter 9 to be interesting.....

 "John said to Him, "Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name, and we tried to stop him because he was not following us." But Jesus said, "Do not hinder him, for there is no one who will perform a miracle in My name, and be able soon afterward to speak evil of Me. For he who is not against us is for us. For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because of your name as followers of Christ, truly I say to you, he will not lose his reward." Mark 9:38-41

  It seems to me that in this story we see a little bit of pride and perhaps jealousy on the part of John and perhaps some of the other disciples. They were doing good things in Jesus' name and meanwhile they run across somebody else who is doing that too but they have never before heard of the guy. If they don't know him then what right does he have to do those things in Jesus' name?!?

  Jesus didn't have that same fear of competition however. He realized it wasn't competition, that the man was working with them not against them.

  How often do we find competition when it really isn't there. How often in our homes, our churches, wherever do we find ourselves wanting to be better, do better than someone else when we should be focusing on the fact that we are on the same team and doing our best to work together. We can get more accomplished if we have more workers - why in the world do we try to compete?

 I don't have the answer as to why we are like that but I do know that I have been guilty of it. I find competition at times in places where I should be finding a teammate. I don't want to be like that. I hope that you don't either.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin