Friday, March 27, 2015

Having Fun With Centerpieces

 
Today I am going to talk a little about decorating for company. This is something I love and find extremely fun - However this is something that some people can find extremely stressful. So if you think decorating is fun too or would enjoy trying to decorate a little more than please join me for this post - check out my ideas and leave some thoughts or ideas of your own in the comments. I would love to hear from you. If the idea of decorating extra when company comes seems overwhelming and unnecessary to you then please feel free to skip this post. Decorating is not a necessary part of being hospitable. It is simply a fun part for some of us.
 
Today we are going to specifically talk about centerpieces. Since many times our hospitality is centered around the table I think it is fun to dress it up a little. I think this can be done in many ways and does not need to cost an arm and a leg - in fact generally I don't spend anything on this. I just try to creatively use what I already have. Now I am blessed to have a wedding flower business so I fairly regularly have extra flowers around so that does make it so I can use flowers in lots of centerpieces which is fun. But you can also pick flowers (wild or from your garden) and there are lots of other centerpiece ideas that don't involve flowers.
 
  Here are some ideas that I have shared at earlier times on my blog. Below each picture is a link to the post that will have more information.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
http://proverbs31living.blogspot.com/2007/09/decorating-with-flowers.html
A bowl with floating Zinnias and Bachelor buttons from the garden with a little greenery.
Cost: $0
 
 
 
 
 
Candles and Doilies Cost: Free 
Colorful Swiss Chard from my parents garden. cost: $0 
A little basket, apples and gourds with moss. Cost: $0 
I put these together for a political banquet as we wanted something on the tables but didn't want to spend a lot. I already had vases, candles, ribbon and Epsom salts and then I made the fabric flowers for some cloth and beads I had on hand. It was a fun and simple project and added something to the tables at our event. 
Another winter centerpiece with evergreen, a candles, pine cones and a bow. 
A line up of various bottles with flowers stuck in them randomly can made a pretty fun centerpiece.
 
Other simple centerpiece ideas:
 
  • A bowl or basket of beautiful apples (or other fruit).
  • A basket of pine cones.
  • Floating Candles in a bowl or vase. Other visual interest like branches, rocks, etc. can be added to the water.
  • A bunch of Indian corn tied with a bow.
 
Something to think about with centerpieces is that you want to make sure that it isn't in the way of people trying to visit. So it is best if they can either be low or skinny and really tall (they can then get bigger at the top).
 
 I would love to hear any centerpiece ideas that you have! (Especially frugal ones.)





3 comments:

Nola said...

I love these ideas. I must admit that I was glad for the little "disclaimer" at the beginning about it not being necessary. However as I read into the post I saw that it would actually take very little time and very little money to do these ideas. That is one thing I love about your blog. You make really neat things with very little but they look amazing. I think that my daughters would have a lot of fun doing something like this for company.

Lilac Cottage Homestead said...

You have shared some really nice ideas!! Looking forward to reading more.

Abbi said...

Thank you so much ladies! I hope that you might have fun with them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin