Monday, March 21, 2016

Daily Bible Reading Challenge

Did you dig into God's word this past week? What are some of the jewels you found?
Here are some of my favorites (sometimes it is really hard to choose!)....

What caused me to worship God more?
"But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God,  and the prisoners were listening to them; and suddenly there came a great earthquake,  so that the foundations of the prison house were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone's chains were unfastened." Acts 16:25 & 26

There are a couple of things in here that cause me to worship God more...

  • The example of Paul and Silas to praise and worship God even when bound in prison. If they can worship even in the midst of trials then I can too.
  • The example that we see of God's power and His ability to fix even the seemingly impossible situations. 
This year I have felt burdened more than ever before to pray for this presidential election. I feel that the stakes are pretty high - that we have various candidates that do not respect God or our constitution and if I am not careful when I look at how well they are doing in the polls and primaries it can cause me to worry. But instead I have been really working to pray. I am thankful for examples like this that just shows us that God is not bound in the same way we are. He can do things that we might never expect. Knowing that we have a mighty God is certainly a reason to worship and to quit worrying!

What Scripture touched me?
"Strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, "Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God." Acts 14:22

The Christians in the early church had to often go through a lot of persecution but they were faithful. We want to be faithful too even should times get hard. People have done it in the past and we can do it too.

What prompts me to action?
"Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so." Acts 17:11

I think this is such an important example for us to follow today. We have many, many false doctrines being preached. Even among people that are Christians there may be someone who mis-speaks and teaches us something that isn't quite correct. Even in blogs that we read. :-) We need to ALWAYS compare what we are taught with the Bible. 

What interesting fact did I find?
"In the generations gone by He permitted all the nations to go their own ways; and yet He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good and gave you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness." Acts 14:16-17

I think this verse is pretty cool and a reminder to us  that whenever we see rain, gardens, truly anything that God made it is a witness of Himself and a reminder to worship and serve Him.



I would love to hear what you gained from your Bible reading this past week. Please share in the comments!

2 comments:

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I love reading through the book of Acts, and seeing how the Lord was able to do such amazing miracles in spite of the persecution that they suffered, and it gives me hope that in this dark day that we live in, the Lord is able to empower us to rise up against the tide of darkness, and let our lights shine brighter for Him! Appreciate you sharing what the word of God meant to you this week, and pray He continues to bless you today! :)

Abbi said...

Acts is a favorite book of mine as well. It continually inspires me to keep going in my walk with Christ. Seeing the examples of those that have gone before is very powerful.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin