Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Daily Bible Reading


I thought I would share some verses from Philippians with you today. We are working to memorize Philippians right now so we go over it (so far just the first 2 chapters) about every day. It is neat when you go over a passage a bunch of times the new things you will notice about it. Here are some of the verses that I have especially been enjoying:

What has caused me to worship God more?
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on the cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Phil. 2:5-11

What Jesus was willing to go through for us is far beyond amazing! He is certainly worthy of all our worship and praise.

What scripture touched me?
"Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly." Phil. 1:12-14

That really touches me that when the other Christians saw the persecution that Paul was going through it didn't make them run away and hide, instead the were more courageous. That is pretty cool! I hope that I can be like that too.

What prompted me to action?
"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life - in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing." Phil. 2:14-16

Do you ever complain? Oh dear, I have done that. Do you ever argue? Guilty again. We need to seek the Holy Spirit's help and use self control so that isn't part of our life anymore.

What interesting fact did I find?
We have enjoyed becoming more familiar with Epaphroditus who was a worker for the Lord. Verses 25-30 tell of his service and how he almost died in the work of Christ. He risked his life to help Paul. He is one of those rather unknown heros and it is fun to learn more about him.

What treasures did you find in God's word lately?


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin